EuroVegas in Madrid. More Details Emerge

Posted on February 11th, 2013

Day by day, more details are starting to emerge for the new EuroVegas project in Spain. Madrid won this particular “el Classico” between the capital of Spain and the capital of Catalonia (Barcelona was the other contender).

Europe will soon have its own Vegas! The huge casino complex will take up as much space as 750 football pitches and it will be built in suburbs of Madrid .

Here are Your EuroVegas highlights (!)

  • The £19billion casino resort will have 12 hotels, six casinos and three golf courses
  • Billionaire owner of the Venetian in Las Vegas, Sheldon Adelson, is behind the plans.
  • The project will take 18 years to construct and will create over a quarter of a million jobs- great news for Spain who are still going through “el Crisis”

EuroVegasVegas-style: The huge gambling park just outside Madrid will draw heavily on the glitzy casino resorts of the Las Vegas Strip and the Cotai Strip in Macau. It should give a massive shot in the arm to the Madrid economy. Spain, like most European countires, is suffering from big debts and has been battling to get it’s defecit under control. Unemployment in Spain is over 25%, and more than half of young people are out of work.

American tycoon, Sheldon Adelson, with his company Las Vegas Sands Corp, has been investigating Europe for some time now. He already runs casino in Las Vegas, Macau and Singapore. The company will put up 35% of the equity. It is not clear where the remaining 65 percent of the money will come from. Spanish banks are expected be among the investors.

The project is not without its controversy though. Las Vegas Sands wanted to build what some are calling a “state within a state” for gambling and will expect special tax breaks and their own interpretation of laws regulating smoking.

On Friday, multibillionaire Sheldon Adelson’s Las Vegas Sands released a press release saying that it now had €9.8bn (£8.3bn) lined up to start cracking on Europe’s biggest casino and conference centre. The company has picked a site in a Madrid satellite town called Alcorcón.

Las Vegas Sands is putting in $3.6b and had banks are lending the rest.

The first bit of the project – with 4 “resorts” of 3,000 hotel rooms each (and casino games of course) will open in 2017.

Eventually, the 3 square mile site will be dominated by a 72-storey hotel skyscraper (or rascacielo)- the highest in the area. The entire project should be finished in under 20 years.

Just How Rich is Sheldon Adelson?

Well, he’s based in Las Vegas, and he is the 12th richest person in the United States, according to Forbes — with a net worth of over $20.5bn. He payed himself a $2.9bn cash bonus from Las Vegas Sands Corp in 2013. So, he’s got a few bob.

Topics

Related Posts

Ryanair to Launch Online Gambling Says Michael O´Leary

Budget airline Ryanair has announced plans to offer in-flight casino gaming to passengers in its latest attempt to win new passengers. The Dublin-based airline’s outspoken chief executive Michael O’Leary confirmed yesterday that the airline is looking to introduce online...

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow. Make a Snow Bet!

While the Aussies are sweltering, the UK is under inches of snow. Today is being seen as “round two” and UK plc is on the ropes after yesterday´s performance in the first round! The UK continues to struggle on...
no-clocks

The Tricks They Use in Las Vegas Casinos- No Clocks etc

Well, I don´t know about you, but the one thing that gets my goat is underhand marketing tricks that companies use these days to help you part with your cash. You know the ones- like fresh baking bread smells...